A challenging instructional program encourages ALL Sycamore Middle School students to reach their highest potential. Classroom instruction includes strong reading and writing components, while providing a variety of opportunities for students to become responsible, productive citizens. Learning is student-centered, and instructional strategies focus on the unique needs of adolescents. We have a school wide emphasis on critical thinking strategies and strong citizenship values. This creates an instructional environment that stimulates academic, social, and cultural learning. We commit to a safe, secure campus that facilitates academics. As a community of learners, Sycamore students, parents/guardians, and staff share responsibility for high academic achievement and are in consensus that:
- The staff has high expectations for academic achievement that are clearly communicated to students and parents.
- The staff uses a variety of instructional strategies and multiple forms of assessment to evaluate student progress toward meeting educational goals.
- The staff maintains on-going communication about school programs and events.
- The staff develops and maintains communication with parent/guardian regarding student academic and behavioral progress.
- The staff clearly communicates that Sycamore is a community of learners.
- The staff focuses on student’s needs by creating a positive school/classroom climate that promotes academic, social, and cultural learning.
- The staff consistently reinforces school rules, policies, and expectations to facilitate learning for all students.
- The school maintains facilities that are safe and in working order. The school has an emergency/safety plan that is communicated to students and parents.
- The school provides specific activities and strategies which enhance self-esteem and promote the development of positive interpersonal relationships.
- Students demonstrate a clear understanding of school wide expectations for high achievement and accept responsibility for learning.
- Students recognize their potential, set personal goals, and know how to seek help in achieving their goals.
- Students assume responsibility for taking information home to parents.
- Students attend school each day in appropriate academic attire, enter class on time, and are ready to learn.
- Students will actively participate in class and complete assigned work.
- Students assume responsibility for bringing all necessary books, materials, and supplies to class each day.
- Students follow school rules, policies and expectations.
- Students assume responsibility for maintaining a safe, clean campus.
- Students clearly understand the school’s emergency/safety plan.
- Students use conflict management and decision making skills to resolve problems in a positive manner.
- Parents actively support high standards of academic achievement for students.
- Parents serve as advocates for their students to help them realize their potential and achieve their educational goals.
- Parents assume responsibility for keeping informed about their students’ educational programs and progress.
- Parents ensure that students are in appropriate academic attire and arrive to school on time each day.
- Parents designate a homework plan/structure and provide a place for students to keep books, materials, and supplies at home.
- Parents support school rules, policies, and expectations.
- Parents help students develop pride in their school.
- Parents clearly understand the schools’ emergency safety plan.
- Parents provide support for students to develop interpersonal and communication skills that enable them to become responsible, productive citizens.
Equal Educational Opportunities
The Board of Education and Sycamore Middle School is committed to providing educational programs and services designed to meet all students’ individual needs and abilities. The District will not discriminate against any individual for reasons of race, religion, color, gender, national origin, economic status or disability.
All handbook and school rules apply to all school-sponsored events, even those activities occurring off-campus.
Handbook Additions or Modifications
During the school year, it may become necessary to change or add to these guidelines. The school administration reserves the right to make such changes. When changes are made, students will be notified by announcements in class, announcements on the intercom, through the weekly Monday Messenger, and/or it will be posted on our website.