Wednesday, January 20
- In-Person Learning resumes - Hybrid A students in-person/Hybrid B and remote students asynchronous
- Newspaper Club (virtual) | 3:00-3:30 PM
- Spartan Food Pantry | 4:30-6:00 PM
Thursday, January 21
- In-Person Learning resumes - Hybrid B students in-person/Hybrid A and remote students synchronous
- Theme Thursday = Western Day
- Student Council (virtual) | 3:00-3:30 PM
Friday, January 22
- All students asynchronous
- End of 2nd Quarter
Monday, January 25
- Start of 3rd Quarter
- In-Person Learning resumes - Hybrid A students in-person/Hybrid B and remote students synchronous
- G-Force - Session 2 (in-person) | 3:15-4:30 PM
- Picture Days will take place on Monday, February 1 and Tuesday, February 2. Students will take pictures on the day that they are in school.
- Remote students will have the option to come between 1:00-3:00 PM either day, more information to come for these students.
- Students should bring in their order form (which they will receive at school) and payment on their picture day.
- Parents can also order online; use code 50356WA - students do not need to bring in a paper order form if ordered online.
- Students will have the option to remove their masks for pictures. Masks must be worn while waiting in line and immediately after the picture is taken.
Let’s try this again. Intramural Volleyball for 7th and 8th graders will begin next week on Tuesday, January 26 and will take place Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday at 3:00-5:00 PM. Dates for the additional two weeks are still to be determined. Students must be registered on 8to18. If you have already registered your student, you do not need to do it again. You must provide your own transportation. There will be a fee, but it has not yet been determined. If you have any questions, please contact Coach Dominguez.
Scholastic Bowl Tryouts - New Date
Do you like trivia? Are you a know-it-all? Come display your knowledge of random facts at Scholastic Bowl Tryouts on Thursday, January 28 from 1:00-2:00 pm. Do you want to be on a school team with your friends? Tryouts are open to ALL SMS students and will take place in the cafeteria. Students will take a 30 question test covering Science, Math, Literature, Geography, History and Popular Culture topics. Report to the main entrance of the school between 12:45-1:00 PM. If you have a Chromebook, please bring it with you, as you will be taking the test on the computer. Please make sure you have a ride arranged to pick you up at 2:00 PM. Email Mr. Knoblock by Monday, January 25 if you plan on attending and let me know if you are bringing your Chromebook or if you will need to borrow one.
SMS Hybrid Return to Learn
Please review the following information regarding our return to in-person learning. Thank you for your patience. We are so excited to have students back in the building!
- Students should bring their district-issued Chromebook and charger each day.
- Students are allowed to bring their personal Chromebook or laptop and charger, if they don’t have a district-issued one. Students will access the district guest network on their in-person attendance days.
- If you are not comfortable sending personal laptops or Chromebooks to school, the school will have devices that students can use while at school. These devices will not be sent home with students and must be returned at the end of each school day.
- Please make sure that students charge their devices at home daily so that they are fully charged when they arrive at school.
- Personal earbuds or headphones are encouraged.
Reminders for Hybrid Students
- Doors will open at 7:30 AM. Students should report directly to first period.
- Masks must be worn over the mouth and nose.
- Students need to follow social distancing guidelines of 6 feet in hallways. Stay to the right and follow the signage.
- Backpacks are allowed in classes, as lockers will not be available for use.
- The use of individual water bottles is encouraged. Water fountains have been disabled, but students can use the bottle filler stations to fill personal water bottles.
- Bathrooms will be open for students to use at a limited capacity.
- Lunch will not be served. All students will have the option to sign up for a free, grab and go lunch.
Car Rider Pick-up and Drop-off
- For parents who are dropping off and picking up their students, please enter the parking lot on the east side of the building (closest to the light).
- Please pull all the way forward around the curve as indicated before students enter/exit the vehicle.
- Students should be ready to exit the vehicle as soon as you pull into the parking lot. Bag ready, coat on, breakfast finished, etc. If your student needs more time, please park in a parking space.
- There will be a teacher directing traffic before and after school - please watch for his signals.
- After school, students will exit through the main entrance and look for their ride.
- Do not pull down the lanes where cars are parked and wait for your student.
- If you choose to park in a space, you may do so.
- The north parking lot is for buses only; parents should not use this lot to pick-up or drop-off students.
- Remember that this is like a new school year - please be courteous and patient.
Students who walk to school should enter through the main entrance after 7:30 AM. If students need to cross the street at Maplewood and Main Street, there will be a crossing guard to assist. Students should walk down the path towards the electric sign and then the path to the main entrance.
December Students of the Month
Congratulations to the December Students of the Month! Thank you for exemplifying our core values and serving as leaders during remote learning. We are proud of you!
Segue: Daniela Gallegos and Peter Gehrig
Venture: Sam Eich and Iris Groom
Intrepid: Benicet Konan and Samantha Maxwell
Synergy: Brent Meizelis and Riley Schuller
Destiny: Abigail Oster and Kyle Prebil
Journey: Samantha Calligan and Javier Lopez
1st Quarter Honor Roll
Congratulations to the students who were named to the First Quarter Honor Roll!
SMS Live! Attendance Challenge
We are excited to announce Team Venture AND Segue as this week's attendance challenge winners! It was too close to call with 91.55% and 91.25% attendance. The Sixth grade students clearly didn't want to be beat by another grade this week!
All sixth graders may select their choice for the livestream and we will go live Friday, January 22 at 2:00 PM. Students may use the livestream link to view the event. We will pause the challenge this week due to our change in schedule to the hybrid model. We will resume the challenge the week of January 25 to start the third quarter.
“Empowering All Learners to Succeed in Their World”