- The Cross Country season will begin on Wednesday, August 8 with the teams first practice. For those who are new to cross country, you may be wondering what it is:
- Athletes run tw0-mile races (Tuesday and Thursday afternoons and some Saturday mornings)
- Athletes will run at practices each day.
- The team will make no cuts, so all interested sixth-eighth grade students will make the team.
- The cost is $125.00 per student per sport (or $310 family cap)
- Practice official starts the week before school on Wednesday, August 8. The team will meet at Sycamore Middle School form 3:00 – 4:15 PM. Parent/Guardians should plan accordingly for dropping off and picking up their student.
- Participants must be registered, paid, medically cleared, and in practice by Wednesday, August 22, 2018, to participate during the 2018 season. No new registrants will be added to the team after August 22.
- Physicals will need to be turned in before the first practice, they may be dropped off in the main office prior to first practice. If a physical has not been received for an athlete, they may not participate in practice.
- Athletes are expected to bring a water bottle to each practice.
- If your student is new to running and wants to get started, we recommend the schedule listed below to prepare over the upcoming weeks. They should set a goal for themselves that is easily reached, even if that is running 2 days a week. These runs build a solid base for the Cross Country season. If they do too much, too fast, it could result in injury. They need to listen to their body and have fun. It’s also a good idea to get family members and friends to go with them on their run, download some fun music to listen to, and enjoy being outside. While running, keep a continuous motion without stopping. This may include a walk, run pattern (example 3 minutes walking/3 minutes running). Each week see if you can run for a little bit longer.
- Monday | 15 – 20 Minutes
- Tuesday | 20 – 25 Minutes
- Wednesday | Rest
- Thursday | 15 – 20 Minutes
- Friday | Rest
- Saturday | 25 – 30 Minutes
- Sunday | Rest
- If you have any questions, please contact Ben Doty, Justin Hames, or Jill Anderson.
- Students interested in participating in football can view this calendar with practice times.
- Summer Open Gym will occur on June 6, 13, 20 and July 11 from 10:00 AM to 12:00 PM at Sycamore Middle School. This opportunity is free and does not require a student to register in advance.
- Volleyball Camp will occur the week of July 16-19, 2018 from 10:30 AM to 12:30 PM in the Sycamore High School Field House. Students will need to register in advance through 8to18. The cost of this camp is $47.00 for seventh and eighth-grade girls.
- Try-Outs for the 2018-2019 School Year will occur August 8, 9, 10 at Sycamore Middle School from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM. Students will need to a sports physical completed prior to tryouts. A physical can either be dropped off in advance our brought with on the first day of try-outs. Students will also need to register through 8to18 prior to August 8, 2018. Students may not participate in try-outs if they have not been registered.
- If you have any questions please contact Amy Misner, Heidi Gerdes, or Jodi Gudewicz.