We look forward to seeing new and familiar faces when Cross Country practice begins on Wednesday, August 9, 2017. Those who are new to cross country might be wondering what it is:
- Athletes run two-mile races (on Tuesday afternoons and some Saturday mornings)
- We run at practice each weekday
- We do not make any cuts, so all interested 6th, 7th, and 8th graders will make the team.
- The cost is $125 per student per sport (or $310 family cap)
Quick Notes and Reminders:
- Practice officially starts the week before school on Wednesday, August 9th. We will meet at Sycamore Middle School from 3:00-4:15. Please plan accordingly for dropping off and picking up your child. Please pass this information on to any friends that may be considering coming out for Cross Country.
- Physicals need to be turned in before the first practice (they can be turned in at the front office). If they are not turned in, you will not be able to participate in practice.
- We expect every athlete to bring a water bottle to each practice.
Here is a schedule of what you can do to prepare over the coming weeks. We understand that summer can be a busy time, so if you can’t get out for a run every day, that’s ok. Set a goal for yourself that is easily reached, even if that is running 2 days a week. Even if you are feeling good after these runs, there is no need to be adding time and mileage. These runs will build a solid base for the Cross Country season. If you do too much, too fast, it could result in injury. Listen to your body and have fun! Get family members and friends to go with you on your run, download some fun music to listen to, and enjoy being outside!
- Monday – 15-20 Minutes
- Tuesday – 20-25 Minutes
- Wednesday – Rest
- Thursday – 15-20 Minutes
- Friday – Rest
- Saturday – 25-30 Minutes
- Sunday – Rest
While running, keep a continuous motion without stopping. This may include a walk, run pattern (example 3 min walk / 3 min run—each week see if you can run for a little bit longer).